I'm nearly finished. My work is off to the printers. Then I have to pick it up and get it bound. Then all I have to do is hand it in. It feels... strange. I've been picking at my work for the last month. Finding little errors here and there, moving some things around, but mostly it's been complete for a few months now.
It's a very strange feeling. I think I basically finished an MA in 9 months. That's crazy! Did I learn anything? Sure. But I've still got a lot of work to do. I wont find out the results for nearly a year, which seems very strange to me. I do still have lingering school angst from my Studio 58 days that I could possibly fail. But this is a creative degree. They should have told me if I was failing, right?
So, what next? It does feel like this MA has not prepared me for anything productive. I haven't finished this novel, so I should get on that. I didn't write as much as I hoped to. I had imagined that I'd spend a year writing all my stories down and have a book like David Sedaris by the end of it. But I got too wrapped up in this one story and my own personal angst to be that productive.
My next step is to go home and find out if that's where I want to be. Or if the UK is where I want to be. I feel that this year some of my life long dreams of being a performer were abandoned, and that hurts. Perhaps there is a way for me to channel that skill in something else that I can do. We'll see. Something will come about.
First I've got to finish this novel. I hope to lock myself away, in Sept. Either when I'm homeless in the UK or when I get back to Calgary, and just pour out 40,000 words to get my pretty much complete. I think I've got a good idea now where this story is going and that's a comforting thing.
Universe, I'm looking at you, give me a sign, a job, some money of my own. Oh and a loving boyfriend would be great as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment