It's 2:30 a.m.
I don't know why I can't sleep.
This is the second night in a row this has happened. And I've cut down on sugar and coffee! AND I even went to the gym today for the first time in a week.
So, to pass the time and to contribute to this blog, I thought I'd write some observations about London and me in London:
-I never have any idea which side of the sidewalk to walk on. People keep bumping into me no matter where I stand.
-No one looks at each other on the tube - even at 8:40 a.m. when we're all squished so close I can see the make up on women's faces, in their pores and the spots where their foundation isn't covering. So I just watch everyone like the creepy tourist I am. Tonight I watched a woman read a book. Her tongue flicked and her lips slightly pursed when she read; not quite lip reading but nearly. The man next to her was also reading and his lips were barely visible they were so pursed together.
-Twice in one week, while walking in Clapham Common, I looked up at the sky and saw a shooting star. Twice!
-The British like to categorize EVERYTHING! Back home there is a huge wave of interdisciplinary art, but in London it seems to be a new thing that some view as a 'fad.' It makes me think about how progressive the Canadian theatre scene is. It's flown under the radar and so it developed its own esthetic. I think. Maybe. Something to reflect upon. But the British do straight theatre very, very well. I'm still thinking about that Pinter play...
-I think I've gained weight since I got here. I hate it. I knew it was going to happen. Plus hurting my back a month ago and then the 'holidays' (aka chocolate and booze fest) happened and I haven't been much allowed to go to the gym, AND I've been sitting at my computer all day. Of course I was going to put on weight. Bah. Humbug.
-I've recently been obsessed with online Sudoku. I didn't know how to play until late December and now everything about the game is starting to click in my head. At least on easy level. Looks like I've found another way to procrastinate.
-As busy and full as London is it's very easy to feel lonely here. Especially since people hardly make eye contact.
-However this lack of eye contact makes me think about some of the movement exersizes we did in theatre school where you'd walk around the room using your periferal vision, insincts and impulses. Maybe one day I should dance with the crowds at London Bridge.
-I think I may have been punched in the face because she thought I was American. (Or worse that she hates Canadians)
-I'm hoping that if I work really hard and get everything sorted in my term 'off' of classes that I will be able to hand my final portfolio in sometime in August and come back home for some friends Weddings. But then again I also want to see the Edinburgh Fringe. Oh, so much to do.
-Winter makes me worry. Perhaps that's what this insomnia is all about. Self-doubt, angst, the winter blahs, home sickness, loneliness, angst, angst and more angst. Yeesh when will I get over this phase?
Ok, now I will try to go to sleep. Don't worry about me. I'm fine. Just sleepless in Clapham.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment