So, I went to Edinburgh for Hogmany, the world's largest New Years celebration (or something). Up until 1 hour into 2009 I thought that Edinburgh was one of the nicest/ most beautiful and comfortable cities I'd ever been in.
After the "The Bells," as they call the midnight moment here, the fantastic fireworks and the 'mind blowing' lazer light show me and my 7 Canadian friends made our way to a rock bar called Opium. We had been to Opium a few days before for Rockeoke and rocked it. We also discovered that this place had 1 pound drinks on new years so we knew it was our place to be.
After arriving at the Rock Bar around 1 am and ordering a drink, the group of us we all standing around figuring out what to make of 2009. My friend Joel was standing in front of me. Next I know there's this little blond girl standing in front of her. I notice she's doing a sort of undulation. A sexy dance? I think to myself. Then wonder, 'who is she? where did she come from?' Then...
Blond hair. Pale white fist coming towards me. Ears popping. Thud-like sound. Pain. Spin around and face table behind me. Look back- there's a kerfuffle away from me. I'm safe. Someone tells me to pinch my nose, hold it up. I do. I touch my face. Blood.
Laughing. What the fuck just happened?
Bouncer comes over and gives me ice. My lip is bleeding.
"Are my teeth ok?"
Yes they are.
Laughing. Shaking. Want to go home.
Apparently the girl, after punching me in the face, kicked Heather and Joel. Heather jumped in to save me/ take control of this girl. Then she got put in a headlock. Bouncer intervened. Crazy girl got kicked out.
After a few moments one of the crazy girl's friends came over to ask if I was ok. I was surprised to see that this girl was totally normal. One would have expected crazy girls friends to be totally bad ass. What with us being in a rock bar and all. But no. This friend had long brown hair and a basic t-shirt on. No tattoos. No piercings.
"Is everything all right with her? I mean, like, in her life right now? Is she ok?" I asked - like a social worker.
I still have no idea what provoked this attack.
My lip was puffy for a day. Inside I was cut but fine. Underneath my lip I'm bruising. It could have been a lot worse. A lot. It would have been a Glaswegian Kiss. (headbutt)
But now I know for sure, I'm a laugher- not a fighter. Not once did I have the impulse to hit back.
So, that's what happened my New Years Eve. It can only go up from here.

No comments:
Post a Comment