Thursday, July 2, 2009

Where was I?

I'd just got to Derry after an epic journey from London where the trains from Liverpool street to Stanstead airport were down due to a fire on the tracks, so I had to take a cab with two strangers; one from Mexico and one from Germany. Then when I landed in Derry there were no taxis for 20 minutes and I shared a cab with two other Germans.

When I finally contacted my friends they told me to meet them here Masons bar. It was a 10 minute walk from my B and B.

Later that evening after we'd received our complimentary Jagermeister shots with our Coronas we were in the middle of a Celtronic festival, yes, a Celtic techno festival, that played some songs I remembered dancing to in Calgary in 1998, when Darren O'Donnel turned to me and said, "Michael Jackson's dead."

"What?" I said.

Then the DJ or someone by the DJ booth said, "Michael Jackson's dead."

One raver from the dance floor shouted, "Woo!" and everything continued on.

Later we went downstairs and there was a cover band who played Billie Jean after being egged on by some drunken students shouting "Sham-on!" and "Hee- hee!" In the background a guy, who to me looked like Kato Kalin, talked while scrolling text confirmed the fact that the King of Pop was dead.

No comments: