Recently I was on the tube and this woman carrying her baby came along asking for change in a paper cup. Most people ignored her and didn't donate to her cause.Then about a week later I was on the tube and heard the annoying sound of an accordion. A twelve year old boy and his younger brother came through. The elder boy played while his sibling begged.
I have been informed that these people are 'gypsies.' Awesome. Well, not really, but still, gypsies! That's amazing. Someone was telling me that they are the UK equivalent of 'white trash' but I disagree. Back home white trash conjures up images of trailer parks, ass cracks and public drunkenness.
The image of a gypsy I grew up with involved music, dancing, lovely fabrics - like olden-timey hippies. I have a lot of cliche images to shed. Seeing these 'gypsies' on the underground gave a sad reality to the underground London life. Yes, things may not be as openly grungey and derelict as parts of Vancouver but I am starting to get a glimpse of the dark underworld across the pond.
... but still... gypsies!

No comments:
Post a Comment