
The Bad News:
The physiotherapist thinks I might have nerve damage. Slight damage, I think. The reflexes on my left leg below the knee aren't responding anymore when they hit them with that rubber hammer.
This shouldn't be such a big deal as the only time this particular reflex/ nerve is used is when Dr's hit it to look for damage. They say it wont affect me permanently beyond that. But right now I can't lift my weight on my toes of the left side. The muscle/ brain connection is gone there. For now- but I can get it back apparently. They also said surgery usually only occurs in 2% of cases and even then the results 2 years down the road comparing surgery patients against physio ones is no difference at all. Surgery is only helpful if the patient is in extreme pain- which, thankfully, I'm not.
The Other Bad News:
My flat has been taken over by roofers and builders. My roommate and I basically are living in a layer of dust. This has been going on since Monday. Everything in her room and the attic had to be cleared out. But where to put it? In the living room where she is sleeping amongst a pile of stuff, like a hoarder. We haven't been able to sleep as the builders are here bright and early and we aren't bright and early people (we say we're still on Mountain Time). And we both work from home so that's been disrupted quite a bit. I barely got any work done this week at all. We're basically living in a construction site which one builder said was 'unsafe to live in.' Great. I hope we get a reduction in our rent. Turns out renters here don't have much protection under the law as they do back home. Or so I'm told.
We've realized that tired + angry = cranky. And that's what we are.
The Good News:
I have an appointment with the Neurologist at the hospital on April 22. I should find out the results of my MRI then. 27 days after my original can. Oh, and I'm still waiting for my NHS physio referral- 36 days since it was requested. How can it be less time to get an MRI than physio?
The REAL GOOD NEWS!:
I found an esthetics salon in Clapham that does eyebrow threading for 3 pounds! That's basically what I paid in Vancouver at the cheap place I loved in Little India. Woo hoo!
The After Thought:
This blog isn't turning out the way I ever expected it to be. It's now a live art exploration of the healthcare system of the UK through the eyes of a foreigner.
Note to self: I must tell the funny stories about London so that I don't come across as such a downer.

2 comments:
Well it's not your fault you got injured. You haven't been self-harming have you?
No, random stranger, I haven't been self-harming. Not that I know of.
I really had no idea anyone was reading this other than my friends and family. Hmmm perhaps I should try to remain more incognito from here on in?
Thanks for reading my angsty post about my back.
Post a Comment