Friday, May 22, 2009

Back Update


Yesterday I went to my NHS Physiotherapist, who has had me on a regime of continuing to do what the private Physio told me to do, did some tests and measurements on me and decided that I'm progressing very well. Aside from the occasional stiff morning back (not to be confused with another stiff morning that me, being a girl, does not get) I'm doing well. So much so that she says to see her in a few months. I'm supposed to be getting a call from a group at the hospital that runs Aquafit for back patients.

I've already taken huge steps forward with my recovery. I'm sitting on an exercise ball as my writing chair, I'm swimming two times a week, I've found a cheap-ish pilates place and I'm almost able to do toe raises standing on my left leg. I'm also finally able to do forward bends without too much pain. Those of you that know me, understand that I've always been bendy. A few months ago when I was at the gym and I wasn't able to touch my toes, I cried. It's so good to touch my shins again.

I think avoiding surgery was a very good decision. I know I've got to keep going with all I'm doing and even more but it's great to see progress.

However, the nearly 6 months of pain (Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March, April) did take it's tole on me emotionally and creatively. I'm now in the final stretch to finish my MA. I've decided to fictionalize my memoir about working as a street promoter and turn it into a longer novella. I'm aiming for 60,000-70,000 words. Fingers crossed. I think I'm in a good place now. I'm starting my second draft. Well, it's hard to say how many drafts I do. I comb through it every day, move things around, etc. I think it's safe to say this has been the hardest year of my adult life emotionally, creatively and physically.

I look forward to seeing everyone at the other side.

No comments: