Last weekend my friend Natalie and I took the train down to Oxford- the "city" with the world's oldest English speaking University- the semi-birthplace of Alice in Wonderland, The Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia (well their authors lived here for a while and the "city" of a whack-load of bicycles.
Natalie and I had nearly 12 hours to visit Oxford, we only needed 4 on our leisurely stroll through the city and we'd pretty much seen it all. Granted as we were there on a Sunday many of the buildings were closed so I suppose we could have spent 6 hours to see all of the sights.
But by far the thing that impressed me most about Oxford was the sheer number of bicycles. That's probably because I haven't ridden one since I left Vancouver. I sold my beautiful hybrid bike and am too scared to deal with left side London traffic to cycle here.
This is a photo of some - SOME!- of the bikes that were parked by the train station. If Oxford students are riding bikes to get around their tiny city then I think there is hope for the future. I just hope they keep on riding once they graduate.
Saturday, May 9, 2009
Oxford Hearts Bicycles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment