A few Wednesdays ago when Melissa was visiting me, I had class a to attend so the plan for the day was that she was going to visit the Tates (Britain and Modern), see the sights of the Thames and meet up with me in the evening for a show at the Globe Theatre.
I left Melissa at 9 a.m. She went one way to catch a bus, I went the other way to catch the tube and train to school. When I got out of the tube, not 20 minutes later I had a voice mail on my mobile. It was from the Tate Membership desk telling me that someone had found my membership card in a wallet and to contact them to get the info from the person who found the wallet. My heart sunk. I had given Melissa my membership card so she could get into the paid exhibits (don't worry I paid for a membership + guest deal). So I knew that she was the one who'd lost her wallet and was now wandering London with no money, no food (and she hadn't had breakfast) and probably freaking out.
I contacted the woman who found the wallet and confirmed that it was indeed Melissa's. I then managed to contact my flatmate, who luckily was home, to go and pick up the wallet, as the woman lived close to us. I had my class, hopped back on the train to go home, did a drive by collection of the wallet and trekked back downtown to another meeting I had to attend.
Of course Melissa had no way of contacting me as mobile phones in the UK cannot accept collect calls. So what she'd done was contact her mother in Canada who contacted me who told me that Melissa was fine and was going to carry on with her day and meet me at our prearranged time and location. But still I fretted hoping that she was indeed alright.
When I met Melissa later that day she looked desolate. She was sitting on the steps of the theatre entrance, her shoulders slumped, her energy very low. I pulled out her wallet and she wept. I pulled out some food and she laughed. The contents of her wallet were still intact, her ticket to the theatre was still there and we went in and enjoyed Shakespeare the way it was back in the olden-timey days of yore and most importantly our faith in humanity was renewed.
Thank goodness I lent her my Tate membership that day. Thank goodness this lady found the wallet and called the Tate. Thank goodness the Tate phoned me. Thank goodness my flatmate was home and able to pick up the wallet less than two hours after it was found. Thank goodness!
A lot of unfortunate things have happened to me since I arrived in the UK (punched in the face, a back injury, canceled Fringe show) it is so wonderful to know that when it comes down to it everything will be alright. Yes, everything will be alright and there are decent people in this busy, crazy city.
Photo note: the tall brown tower in the middle of this photo (to the right of centre) is the Tate Modern, next to it on the left is the Globe Theatre where Melissa and her wallet were reunited.
Saturday, May 9, 2009
Lovely Londoners
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment