The New Yorker ran a piece this week on Creative Writing programs. LINK Some people say that writing cannot be taught and that schools only have creative writing programs as cash cows.
I'd agree that creative writing can't really be taught. At the very least I expected my program to give me some basic guidelines on story structure. They haven't. Instead I've been exploring story structure through scriptwriting books. As well I've looked into poetry to see how that's structured and read. But as far as teaching goes the best a creative writing program can do is encourage and develop a writers voice. The wonderful thing about my program is the passion and talent of my tutors.
This year has been a personal struggle for me, what with moving countries, leaving friends and family, suffering physically for months and surviving the depressing London winter, however I would say that this program has been educational. I've been exposed to some wonderful writing, I've tried things I've never tried before. I do wish I had a finished product (ie a novel) when this program is complete, but I've still got a few months to go. I've written some poetry, some short stories, a short film script and a novella (in process) but the question remains, what will I do when this is all said and done? If you have any ideas please pass them along.
In the meanwhile the philosophy I'm going with right now is that this year has been a learning experience. I'm living in the moment, being exposed to international culture, traveling, meeting interesting people and developing my tastes in art. When I look at it that way- life is amazing. And that's all any of us can really do; take it one day at a time and appreciate the moments. Hopefully I'll be able to write them down afterward.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This article has been in my head too. I've been reading around this topic for a chapter in my thesis about literary institutions, more specifically American ones, and what it means to teach creative writing, and issues of labour.
One thing I've found that's interesting is the argument that creative writing programs aren't for the most part 'cash cows' -- most of the big colleges give fellowships and financial support. Not all of them, though. And certainly not in Britain!
As you say, the best thing about a creative writing program is a community, and a group of people interested in literature and eager to help you.
You should keep an eye on htmlgiant.com -- as a group blog it covers issues of WHAT NEXT a lot.
Post a Comment