Friday, March 27, 2009

MRI-i-i-i


This morning I finally had an MRI for my back injury, which has been plaguing me since November.

I don't know if you've ever had an MRI but it's quite the interesting experience. They lay you on a tray then slide your body into a long cylinder shaped machine. They give you ear plugs because the machine makes quite a lot of banging noises.

The ordeal lasts about 10 minutes and you're not supposed to move at all. I entertained myself by closing my eyes and reviewing old monologues I used to do (which I really need to practice more, I blanked on a lot of them). Part way through, the banging machine took on rhythmic sounds which reminded me of my old rave days (and an episode of Spaced), which nearly made me burst out laughing as I imagined myself dancing to the techno beats of the MRI. See video below for the Spaced reference.

When it was completed the nurse asked me if I was considering surgery. I told her that's what the MRI was supposed to help answer. She then told me that the scan showed that I have an abnormality, so I wasn't a time waster (which she explained they tend to get a lot of). My hopes fell, as the last week I have been able to walk again mostly without pain and now it's being confirmed that I do have some sort of problem. After some reflection I've realized that this could be just a disk injury - which it's been clear I've had for a while. But is it worthy of surgery? That still remains unknown. The next step is to go back to my GP and then hopefully to someone who knows better.

To make matters more complicated, the flat I'm living in is now undergoing construction to get a new roof. Really, the building needs to be gutted; it's over 100 years old, the windows and roof have never been replaced (or not in the last 20 years) from what I'm told. Which explains the terrible drafts we've had all winter (and that they didn't have insulation years ago). So now I'm surrounded by burly-surly London roofers. Hopefully we wont get kicked out of our place and that our rent wont increase.

My fear is that this may just be another sign that I'm not supposed to be in London. Or that everything is simply falling apart. My back, my house, the economy... the world?

Thank goodness I've got legs that can walk and a laptop so I can work anywhere in this busy city. I'm staying positive. At least hopefully that everything happens for a reason.

Stay tuned for more updates on my back saga and personal investigation of the NHS (National Health System).

I hope you are all healthy and well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You think this means you're not supposed to be in London? Can't it just mean that flats in London are old and your back would have been f-ed up no matter where in the world you were?

Sabine said...

I agree with Rhys. And if you never came to London, you would have never come to Berlin and Stacie would never have introduced us and I wouldn't be leaving this comment out of true concern and well-wishing for a new friend. xox.

Sara said...

Thanks for the love, lovelies.

And thanks for reading!

They say everything happens for a reason, I can't wait to find out what this one is.